The first message in this series on Spiritual Routines led us into a better understanding of one of the factors of greatness. One factor by which you can predict greatness is the presence of routine in a man’s life. It doesn’t matter the level of desire you have for greatness, as long as the factor of routine is not in place, you won’t be great. Jesus had routines, no wonder He was great while He was a man. See Luke 4:16 NKJV.
There are certain routines that are life saving routines. The same way breathing oxygen is a life saving routine for humans, so are certain routines ‘life saving’ for believers. The same way breathing is not an advice, there are certain routines in our Christian walk that are not an advice. They are commands that require repetition.
Below are Spiritual Routines a believer must adhere to:
1. The Routine of Giving Alms. Giving, for a Christian it is not a matter of ‘if’, it is a matter of ‘when’. Christianity is a giving relationship with God. See Matthew 6:1 KJV; 2 Corinthians 9:6 KJV; Proverbs 19:17 KJV; Genesis 26:4 NKJV.
2. The Routine of Prayer. Prayer is a life giving routine for a believer. If you are a believer, prayer is a necessity. See Matthew 6:5 KJV; 1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV
3. The Routine of Fasting. God does not want you to fast. God needs you to fast. If you are not fasting, there are realms God desires for you that you won’t be able to come into. See Matthew 6:16 KJV.
What are the implications of some of these spiritual routines?
– If your season of manifestation comes and you don’t give it these routines, you will not step into that manifestation.
– In the realm of the Spirit, there are guardian spirits who open the doors to you. It takes fasting and prayer to unlock those doors that need to open.
– Spiritual routines bring increase. There is a difference between announcement and increase. You can make announcements of your work but if God doesn’t increase you, you won’t increase.
“I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.” 1 Corinthians 3:6 KJV
When the time is short and the assignment is much, it is by fasting and prayer that you can achieve such.